“Daydream transports the dreamer outside the immediate world to a world that bears the mark of infinity.” ― Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space

poetics-of-space
“The Poetics of Space” – Gaston Bachelard

In my current work I am looking into that of  Absence of Presence and Spacial Memory. This book has been very influential towards my research and has encouraged my experimentations.                                     Here are a few quotes from the book that I have found of  particular interest:

“A creature that hides and “withdraws into its shell,” is preparing a “way out.” This is true of the entire scale of metaphors, from the resurrection of a man in his grave, to the sudden outburst of one who has long been silent. If we remain at the heart of the image under consideration, we have the impression that, by staying in the motionlessness of its shell, the creature is preparing temporal explosions, not to say whirlwinds, of being.” 
― Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space  

“In the theater of the past that is constituted by memory, the stage setting maintains the characters in their dominant roles . . . . And if we want to go beyond history, or even, while remaining in history, detach from our own history the always too contingent history of the persons who have encumbered it, we realize that the calendars of our lives can only be established in its imagery.” 
― Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space 

“Thus the dream house must possess every virtue. How­ ever spacious, it must also be a cottage, a dove-cote, a nest, a chrysalis. Intimacy needs the heart of a nest. Erasmus, his biographer tells us, was long “in finding a nook in his fine 
house in which he could put his little body with safety. 
He ended by confining himself to one room until he could breathe the parched air that was necessary to him. ” 
 Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space 

“I should say: the house shelters day-dreaming, the house protects the dreamer, the house allows one to dream in peace.”              ― Gaston Bachelard, The Poetics of Space